Montag, 17. Oktober 2011

AMD 1 - Rammstein!

As part of the Abenteur Mit Deutsch activity 1, I listened to some songs of Rammstein. Rammstein is a popular German metal music group. The first time I heard about them was from the film xXx starring Vin Diesel, which featured the song "Feuer frei". At first, I thought Feuer frei meant: "free fire" but as I looked it up, it actually means "Fire at will". Another very popular song I like by Rammstein is "Du hast" (=you have). In order to practice my German, I tried to translate either one of these songs. I figured out it would be easier to translate "Du hast" since it seemed to be slower and thus easier for me to understand, while it had simpler and repeated lyrics. I found out that the name of the song could have a double meaning since it could be "Du hast" (=you have) or "Du hasst" (=you hate) although the official song is called "Du hast". After working on the lyrics myself and (I admit it!) cheating in a way by looking up the lyrics' translation online I found them to be:

Du / You
du hast /
you have
du hast mich
/ you have (me)
du hast mich gefragt /
you have asked me
du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt
/ you have asked me and i said nothing

Willst du bis der Tod euch scheidet /
Do you want, until death separates you
treu ihr sein für alle Tage /
to be faithful to her for all days

Nein
/ No

Willst du bis zum Tod, der scheide /
Do you want, until death, which separates,
sie lieben auch in schlechten Tagen / to love her on bad days too

Nein
/ No

It was really interesting to look up the lyrics since I've heard this song so many times that I could actually sing it, but I never understood what it meant until now. I must say that I really enjoy the lyrics too! I could not imagine that this song is actually talking about love and as it seems, wedding vows (yes, I also looked that up, although the lyrics themselves reveal that), but this harsh rejection "Nein!" is what identifies it as a (sort of) heavy metal song instead of a romantic one!

I suggest this song because it has nice rhythm, as I found out it also has nice lyrics, and it also helps practicing everything we learn in class!


Tchüss!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.