I found the readings all particularly interesting. In particular, the second scenario in the Stare Down article. Since I live on north campus, I ride the Michigan buses daily. I myself on the bus never know where exactly to rest my gaze, as it says the person across the aisle stared down the one looking at the newspaper. I feel like in the U.S. we tend to look down at our laps as I noticed after reading this article, or people pre occupied themselves with their cell phones. The article says that there are two basic reasons going back to Cold War seperation of East/West Germany. And as the article sums up, I do remember in my childhood being told that its not polite to stare, I found that interesting because I never would have thought of where possibly staring has become such an awkward activity in our culture.
Also in the Brutally Honest one, I feel politeness is always over honesty in our everyday social life. But the Germans have it right, saying no is not a way of attempting to hurt ones feelings its just giving an honest answer, which ultimately leads to less confusion between aquaintences and friends. If I eat the fruitcake, maybe next time the Grandma will make it again thinking that I actually liked it, when really I was just too polite to say otherwise. It is also interesting that there must be justification if your directness is opposed.
From my personal experience I've never noticed the pessimism of Germans because I've always felt they are fun, easy going people.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.