For my second abenteuer mit Deutsch, I read the article "Duden publishes words of the decade volume." This article is about the German dictionary publisher, known as Duden who recently put out a volume that featured words that were added to the Duden that came from between 2000 and 2010. I thought it was interesting to see that many of these words that were added in the past 10 years are identical or very similar to words that we use in English. In particular, I found it interesting that the word googeln was added because this just shows how google has had a truly global impact these past few years, as google has been added to many other languages as a verb in English as well as many other languages. I also found it interesting that during the Cold War when Germany was divided into West Germany and East Germany, even though the 2 countries were divided a for a relatively short time in terms of the history of the language there were different words that appeared in the East German version of the Duden that were the result of the influence of the Russian language.
-Mike F.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.