Montag, 3. Oktober 2011
Der Fliegende Holländer
For my first abenteuer mit Deutsch, I listened to the opera Der Fliegende Holländer by Richard Wagner. The title of this work translated into English is "The Flying Dutchman." Just based on what we learned already I was able to know what the title means. The of the Flying Dutchman is somewhat well known and some of you may be familiar with it. The plot of the story is that there is a captain of a ghost ship known as the Flying Dutchman, who once invoked Satan and thus was cursed to roam the sees forever. However, every seven years he is allowed to go on land and if he is able to find a woman to marry then he will be released from his curse. When the Dutchman's ship crashes into another ship run by a man named Daland, and this man takes the Dutchman back to his home, there Daland's younger sister decides she wants to break the curse on the Dutchman but I won't spoil whether she is successful or not. I enjoyed listening to this and I was able to pick on some words even though there were many that I didn't recognize, it can also be hard to understand what opera singers are saying. The fact that I was following along with the text that had the German text and the English text side by side and I was able to pick up on some new words this way, such as Gespenst or ghost.
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.