Montag, 21. November 2011

AMD 5 - Denglisch

Since I live in a foreign country, I already understand the concept behind "denglisch". However, in Greece, "Greeklish" is used in a different way, and is seen within the world of chatting and text messaging. Greeklish is the way of writing Greek sentences by using the english alphabet and sometimes even using english letters that look like the Greek ones. Such examples are "ω" (omega) which Greeks tend to type as "w", or even "θ" as "8", but the spelling of Greek words remains the same even in the very different english alphabet, and this way of typing is more popular than writing in Greek (sadly in my point of view because the Greek language loses its whole value, although I must admit that I tend to type in Greeklish myself sometimes).
Therefore I decided to look for "Denglisch" and see how that works, since the German language has the same alphabet as English, so Denglish should be something different. In Greece, it is possible to see someone respond with "sorry" or "thanks" although you are speaking Greek to them, and in this manner, "Denglisch" seems to be the same in Germany. It seems that Germans do not have some words, and therefore used the English version. We already know "Handy" which is the mobile phone, but I was surprised to see words such as "Smoking" and "Slip" which are also used for the same meanings in Greece. It was also interesting to find out that as in English, "google" became a verb regarding searching something on the web, it did in the same way in German and is even conjugated being "googeln". The word "update" regarding computer software is used in Germany and in Greece, as does the word "download" although in Greece they are not conjugated (one would literally say "that is a nice song, let's do it download"). So before reading the article about "Denglisch" I thought it was only because of Germans using English words, but after I read it, I understood that "Denglish" is special because Germans use English words but even treat them grammatically as if they were actually German.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.